Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Apocalypse is at Hand . . . Please

Half-hour to go before I meet my Multicultural Literature class. For Thursday they are to read Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" which I'm following with Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find." I want them to understand my personal views on murder. How does this apply to the American Colossus? When this gargantua muses on what's going on inside people's homes or on backwoods roads, I want him to have one word rattling in his brain: murder. By September 19 we will be discussing "A Rose For Emily." Yes . . . .

I foolishly began the morning watching Washington Journal and hearing caller after caller turn Katrina into a battleground for conservatives and liberals. My guess is that both sides have agreed that as long as they are repetitive and shrill then the status quo they so love will remain in place.

Plenty of stress in my back. Why? Because I know my little charges will again demonstrate the bathos of American Education--and yet, somewhere in this lot, may be the next American Colossus. What to do . . . .

No comments: